Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hello, my name is Brittany and I suffer from Proximity Prioritization Syndrome

I recently came across this video via OrgJunkie's post about finishing what you start.  As you know if you have read any of my posts on the subject, procrastination and I are frenemies.  When I saw this little tongue-in-cheek video about Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder, I recognized myself. This phenomenon of being busy but accomplishing little seems to be quite universal.




YouTube commenter Ihorseportrait had this wonderful observation to share:

"...it's not AAADD, it's called Proximity Prioritization Syndrome: that which is closest to you gets your immediate attention.  It is a direct result of having children.  There is no cure.  It is a chronic condition that can be supported by diet, exercise and detailed list making.  Until the dog eats the list or your youngest uses it for toilet paper and you are back where you started."

Yes, yes - that's so completely and totally me!  So please join me, fellow Proximity Prioritization Syndrome sufferers, and let's show this thing who's boss.  Which would be us, in case there is any question.  Unless we've lost our lists, of course.


"Much of the stress that people feel doesn't come from having too much to do.  It comes from not finishing what they started."  ~David Allen

2 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness....I wish it weren't so, but I can absolutely relate to this! And that Youtube comment? Hysterical, and yet, so true! The only thing separating me from that woman in the video would be the ever-present interruption of young children (bickering, yelling, complaining, asking for something.....whatever), which I'd like to think gives me more of a pass....but truthfully, I know it doesn't. Sigh. Anyway, we could be soul-sisters on this issue, I'm afraid!

    (Discovered your blog via SouleMama, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Thanks for checking out my blog - The Magic That Is Thrift. I'm adding you to my other blog list on The Magic That Is Janis. Looking forward to reading your blog more often.

    ReplyDelete